Thursday, September 19, 2013

Peach & Lavender Coconut Milk Pops

Lavender + Peach + Coconut Milk Pops

It has come to my attention that it's mid-September. Clearly not the most appropriate time for popsicles or for peaches. But the thing is that I spent my summer with my face in books and bars (not the drinking kind). I didn't get to eat near as many peaches as I typically would want. And I didn't get to make all the popsicles of my dreams. I'm about two months behind on this whole summer thing. So, bear with me.

I snagged a couple of bags of peaches during Pearson's last farmer's market appearance of the season. I let the peaches get perfectly ripe, eating a few along the way, before pitting, slicing, peeling, and freezing the rest. You see, I had been dreaming of soft, juicy, cooked peaches swimming in floral infused coconut milk and knew I would, at some point, have the time and energy to make that a reality. And friends, that time is now!



Lavender + Peach + Coconut Milk Pops

Coconut milk and lavender are perfect together, perhaps one of my new favorite combinations. And the peaches fit in rather naturally--bright fruity bites among the rich creaminess. The peaches are cooked down to soften them and to release some of their juice, which is stirred right into the infused coconut milk. These pops are stupidly easy to make and stupidly delicious too. Promise me you'll hunt down some late late summer peaches and give these a try (or pull them from the freezer if you're a peach hoarder like me). In the event you can't find good peaches, I imagine any other late stone fruit or berries will do.

Peach & Lavender Coconut Milk Popsicles
makes 6-8 popsicles

6-8 oz sliced and peeled peaches
1 15-oz can full fat coconut milk
50 g (1/4 cup) raw sugar
1 tsp dried lavender

Place peaches in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Cook peaches until they begin to break down and release their juices, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.

Place coconut milk and raw sugar in a saucepan and set over low heat. Whisk until sugar has dissolved then whisk in lavender. Keep warm over low heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let steep 15 minutes. Feel free to steep longer for a more intensely floral.

Strain coconut milk into a large bowl. Add cooked peaches (including some of the juice) and stir to distribute. Transfer to a glass measuring cup or other bowl with a lip and slowly pour into popsicle molds. Freeze until firm, about three hours (depending on size of molds). Run the popsicle under warm water for a few seconds to allow the pops to remove easily.

Lavender + Peach + Coconut Milk Pops

6 comments:

  1. Stephanie @ Girl Versus DoughSeptember 19, 2013 at 10:06 AM

    I don't care if it's a blizzard in January, I would waste no time getting my mitts on one of these pops! So much yum going on here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's mid September but is summer over here?.. it felt like 100 degrees yesterday.. I could eat these pops well into the winter and be ok with that..

    ReplyDelete
  3. No joke. It's gotten to that weird time where it's cool in the morning and then feels so damn hot by the afternoon. Pops to the rescue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Petiscos e MiminhosOctober 1, 2013 at 6:49 AM

    You have such a beuatiful blog, so glad I found it!
    <3

    ReplyDelete