Monday, May 28, 2012

Best Ever Caramel Sauce

Best Caramel Sauce

Brace yourself for insurmountable amounts of wit, y'all. I started a Twitter yesterday. Or is the proper lingo "I'm on Twitter"? I'm Twittering? Tweeting? I'm still not sure, but whatever you call it, it's happening. Hashtags and @s will abound outside of my normal Instagram comfort-zone.

It was a mildly horrifying moment, realizing I had no idea how Twitter actually worked. How long has Twitter been a thing anyway?

Ok, just wikipediaed that--6 years. What the hell. I'm still trying to figure out the source of my aversion to social media. I am overcoming it though, one step at a time. First Pinterest, then Instagram, now Twitter. Things are happening. For real.

On a related note, this caramel. This caramel is happening on some vanilla ice cream on its way to my belly right now. #breakfastfood (see what I did there?).

This really might be the best caramel ever. Scratch that. It is the best caramel ever. And so easy too! You know what else I think should happen with this caramel? Pretzels. Good. Nilla wafers. So good. Peanut butter pie. Unreal!

Best Caramel Sauce

Best Ever Caramel Sauce

1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla bean paste or 1/2 vanilla bean, scraped
1 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbsp. light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter

Place the cream and vanilla bean paste (or vanilla bean pod and seeds) in a small saucepan and heat over low heat until warmed (do not boil).

While cream is heating, pour sugar, corn syrup, and water in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan and whisk together. Place the pan over medium heat and continue whisking until sugar is dissolved. Without stirring, allow the mixture to boil until it turns a golden amber color.

Remove the pan from the heat and slowly pour the hot cream into the caramel (be sure to remove the vanilla bean pod first if using vanilla bean). Be careful, as the mixture will bubble up. Stir with a wooden spoon until smooth, scraping the bottom and edges of the pan. If any lumps form, return the pan to the heat and stir until smooth. With pan off the heat, add the butter and stir until smoothed in. Transfer to a heat resistant bowl or jar.

Storage: Let the caramel cool to room temperature before refrigerating. Caramel will hold in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3 weeks.

Reheating: The caramel will firm up a lot when refrigerated. Simply microwave it to loosen it. If it still seems too thick once heated, stir in a few splashes of hot water until desired consistency is achieved.

Serving: This caramel is made to be served hot. It will thicken as it cools, but if you want to serve it at room temperature or cooler, thin it with hot water.

Best Caramel Sauce

12 comments:

  1. Just looking at that sauce running down that jar does things to my heart.. #holymotherofcaramel

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so delicious! I've never made homemade caramel, but this looks like a great jumping off point and much better ingredients than the store bought stuff! Pinning it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. You can so make it! Just keep an eye on it as it begins to turn golden. Thanks for the pin and for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Saw this on Tastespotting and pinning it now! Can't wait to make it! P.S. Don't feel bad, I'm still not on Twitter but I'm a pro on FB! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the pin! This caramel really is amazing stuff. I have to stop myself from eating it by the spoonfuls!

      And I'm working on the FB thing... I may need a lesson!

      Delete
  4. I've been looking for a caramel sauce. Thank you, this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness someone feels a little lost about this social media stuff like me! You're hilarious :) I just started a Facebook for my blog a few weeks ago and I feel like a dummy lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious. I'm getting hungry at work just looking at these photos and it's not even 11 am. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do the same thing at work actually haha. Your pancakes and brownies are giving me a major hankering for sweets right now!!

      Delete